Saturday 11 July 2015

Book Review: My Paris Dream

In the summer I definitely read a lot more books than I do in the winter, probably because it seems really weird to sit out in the sun and knit! One of the books I have recently finished is My Paris Dream, by Kate Betts. For those of you who don't know, Kate Betts is a fashion journalist, who was one of the youngest ever editors of Harpers Bazaar.


This autobiography chronicles Kate's life, starting when she finished high school and went inter-railing around Europe, stopping in Paris for two weeks. The book is extremely well written, and unlike many autobiographies I have read, I really did not want to put it down. I think it probably helps that I love Paris, and having been their a lot can relate to some of the places she discusses, and the slang she struggles with.


Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the story of growing up, finding your feet, and the realisation that you can't always have it all, as on several times in the book, Kate was working so hard on progressing her career, she let personal relationships suffer. I think this is something a lot of people can relate to, as it is often difficult balancing work and a personal life.

Overall, this book can appeal to a wide number of people, clearly if you have an interest in fashion, and want to build a career in that field the book will be of interest, as it shows an insight into the industry. Also anyone who loves Paris will definitely relate to the book, as I did - although she is American and struggled to fit into the culture, I think it is still relevant to brits, I know that I never felt anywhere near as chic as any Parisians when I was there, they definitely have that Je ne sais quoi!


I'm always after new books to read over the summer, and love autobiographies, so if there is anything similar to this that you know of, please let me know in the comments!

Lots of love
Briony Crew Post Signature
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© The Life of Briony. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig