Tuesday 23 February 2016

NYFW Fall 2016 - My Favourite Shows

I get so excited when Fashion Week starts in New York, it means I have 4 weeks of watching beautiful outfits and shoes, getting little bits of inspiration for what I am going to incorporate into my wardrobe in the coming seasons... It's fantastic! With an increase in social media, we can now watch more shows than ever online, however it does come with a caveat - the current season is likely to be the last one ever in this format, as Burberry has announced that starting in September they will be showing in Season. Basically at the moment all shows are 6 months ahead of the release, so that buyers can pick which items from the collection they want to have in store, however as social media has become more prevalent, shoppers now want to purchase items that they have seen on the runway straight away. So I think it's going to be an interesting couple of seasons while all these changes happen!


Anyway... I thought I would do a series of 4 posts showing you a couple of my favourite looks from the shows! This week it is New York, next will be London, the following will be Milan, and finally Paris!


Michael Kors Collection

This has been one of my favourite shows to watch for a long time, and it were some of his pieces which were my first ever designer purchases. I know that there is currently a trend for Michael Michael Kors Bags and Watches, but look past those and check out his Ready To Wear collection, it's a thing of beauty.


This season, his show was all about movement and juxtaposition, so there were lots of feathers, and floaty materials, and he was turning convention on it's head - sparkly dresses or heels for day time, jumpers or flats for the evening.





If you want to watch the whole show, you will find it on the Michael Kors Youtube Channel.

Victoria Beckham

I've been a fan of Victoria Beckham since I was a little girl pretending to be a Spice Girl, and in my teens I was frequently guided by her book "That Extra Half an Inch" so when she made her fashion week début in 2008, I was really interested. I loved her collection then, it was so sleek and classy - she knew how to make women look good, over the years she has fluctuated slightly, but this season she has gone back to her basics: truly beautiful silhouettes.




The Victoria Beckham Fall 2016 Show is also available on her Youtube Channel.

Diane Von Furstenberg
I'm not entirely sure how to describe this show, you may have seen some videos on Snapchat or Instagram, but it wasn't a traditional runway show, this season Diane Von Furstenberg focused around five ideas: movement, fencing, traditional office, creative office and party. All I can say is that it's different! The clothes are incredibly beautiful as always, but as much as I loved the presentation, I kind of felt like it is detracting from them somehow!





Rodarte
When I watched the Rodarte show, all I could think of was WOW. It isn't just that the clothes are incredibly beautiful, but also the music, the styling, how the girls faces were painted like dolls, with their perfect deep red lips. It was a fairytale, but definitely a Hans Christian Anderson version!




I definitely recommend watching this show, it is available on their Youtube Channel.
Alexander Wang

This show has to be one of the edgiest at fashion week, the decision to put such a boundary pushing show in a church, was incredible. The exposed breasts, stripper pole prints and leather dog collars could not have stuck out more, however it only works because he has such incredible pieces within the collection. Some of my favourite items this season were when he took traditional items, such as tweed suits, and made them his: short skirts, huge silver detailing, but still incredibly well cut.
 



Keep an eye out for my favourites from London Fashion Week coming up soon! Let me know in the comments what you thought of the shows!
Love
Briony Crew
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© The Life of Briony. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig