Saturday 3 January 2015

Book Review: Poems to Learn by Heart

This book is a collection of short Poems collated by Ana Sampson. It begins with a lovely Introduction talking about the beauty of poetry and how joyful it can be to commit it to memory, to be recalled at any occasion. For previous generations learning poetry was a right of passage, but it is now only done in school and even then it is usually not an enjoyable experience. However, as we get a little older with more experience, we understand more of what the poets meant, and appreciate their language.

Poems to Learn by Heart, By Ana Sampson

The book is divided into 19 chapters, splitting the poems up into collections covering topics including  magic, love, reflections, family and courage. 

I'm absolutely loving this book and have already been through it reminding myself of poems I loved years ago, and have been starting to learn them off by heart, which is a joy (although maybe not for my boyfriend who has had to put up with me reciting poetry at him!)

Anways, if you fancy buying a copy you can get it from Amazon

Lots of Love
post signature
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This sounds like a lovely book. I was never interested in poetry until recently when we studied it in uni. Who knew it could be so varied and understandable? Which are your favourites in the book? Its just great that you're starting to learn them off by heart- just think in times of need you can just start spouting deep and meaningful and beautiful lines!
    Julianne xx
    julzobsessions.blogspot.co.uk // bloglovin.com/blog/3478503

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourites that I had forgotten about was the Night Mail, by WH Auden, also it has a selection from The Lady of Shallot, which I really enjoyed in school! I have to say though that I understand poetry a lot more now I'm older than I did when I was at school! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© The Life of Briony. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig